Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Finally in London!

After a wonderful pit stop in Scotland, I have finally made it to London!  Okay...well... I lied.  I've actually already been here since Sunday!  Everything has happened so quickly that I haven't been able to post!  Oops!  Nonetheless, I am back and ready to share my last few days.

Sunday was our last day in Scotland.  Brianna and I took a train that was luckily a two minute walk from our hotel.  That was the end of our luck with this train.  After about 45 minutes of being on the train, we came to our first stop.  We were told that they couldn't find a driver for our train and that we must move to a different train that was already filled up.  When we got on the train, we got to sit for about 2 hours of the ride but the other half we spent standing in the back being squeezed in between other people and luggage.  Let me tell you, it was not fun!  But it was all apart of the adventure!  Eventually we got there and took an uber to our dorm.  Unfortunately we missed dinner with the other students, so we grabbed a sandwich at a small market and headed to bed.

Last pic from Scotland.


On Monday our leader, Susannah, took us on a tour of our neighborhood.  My dorm is actually very close to a church where Shakespeare's brother is buried and where a bunch of famous authors lived.  Centuries ago, the place I live was filled with theaters and pubs.  It was the "place" to go because it was right outside of central London where if you didn't obey the law, it would cost you your head.  So people preferred to stay on the outside of the law and I don't blame them.

After the tour, Brianna and I found a place to get all our necessities for our dorm and also figured out how to use the tube/subway.  We eventually got back to our dorm only to go back out again to get some cookware and some food.  We ended the night by fixing some pasta and hanging out with other study abroaders.

On Tuesday things started to speed up when we went on a tour to see more touristy attractions.  We walked pretty much everywhere and got to see so many things.  It's crazy how so many historical places can be squeezed into such a small radius.  The pictures speak for themselves but I got to see places such as the Buckingham Palace, the Big Ben, the London Eye, and many others!  The only negative was that it was really hot!  It was the hottest it's been in the last ten years.

The National Art Gallery



One of the horse guards

Fun fact: The horse are rotated out every hour whereas the soldiers are rotated every 2 hours.

The government building the horse guards were guarding.

A walk in the park.

Buckingham Palace




This is Westminster Abbey.  It was my favorite place we saw.  Most coronations and royal weddings have taken place here.  Also, over 3,300 people are buried inside.  Creepy, but cool!

The Big Ben



As for today, Brianna and I went into central London to find some cooler clothes.  We packed for Autumn and Winter, not a heat wave!  We went into a store called Primark which I compare to like Forever21 with a home section on steroids.  The place was crazy huge!  The rest of the day I have relaxed and worked on this while watching some people play video games.  Can't complain, life is good.  Cheers until next time!

-------------------------------------------------
The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.

-John Mair
------------------------------------------------




1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are wonderful! I'm so excited for what you're experiencing! Enjoy every moment...it's getting dark! :-)

    ReplyDelete